This time I really don’t have a lot to tell, since somehow I missed most panels. I had a gold ticket for the first time and ran from photo session to photo session. Plus, I wore an elaborate costume this time and also participated in the costume contest, so wandering about and getting photos taken and enjoying the attention was a priority for me this time😉
That doesn’t mean that I didn’t take any photos, so are a few photos from Friday:
Regarding autographs this year has begun very slow for me. I haven’t had time to send out new letters either. 4 new autographs since my last post:
Jack Gleeson (Joffrey / Game of Thrones)
Thanks to Kathrin for getting his autograph for me at RingCon!
Rose Leslie (Ygritte / Game of Thrones)
Maria Howell (Seeder / Hunger Games)
and Sibel Kekilli (Shae / Game of Thrones)
I got a new autograph yesterday, from Daniel Sharman, who plays Kaleb/Kol in The Originals. The Originals is one of my favourite TV shows at the moment, but their cast members’ autographs seem to be hard to get, so I haven’t sent out many letters yet. I’m glad that I got this one back. Daniel wrote something on the back of one photo with a green pen and it rubbed off on the other photo. Eventually I’ll try to remove it. Til then I’m very happy that I got his autograph
You can find the full scans on the Other TV shows page. Contact me for the password.
I got two more autographs recently, both for my Game of Thrones collection:
Emilia Clarke, who plays one of my three favourite characters (or four, but one of them has already died, so…). Of course she’s Daenerys Targaryen; she was the first actor I wrote to specifically for this show. She didn’t sign the photos I sent her, but a presigned photo, but I’m very happy about it, since it’s a very beautiful picture (not like most photos actors use to send), in fact I even prefer it over the photos I sent to her. However, I’ll try to get a personalized autograph when she starts replying individually again.
Julian Glover, who plays Grand Maester Pycelle, and Triopas in Troy. He signed and personalized all three photo I sent him.
I added the full scans to the Game of Thrones page (Other TV shows –> GoT) If you want to see the full scans, please e-mail me (email@example.com) or comment on one of my posts and I’ll send you the password.
Yesterday I got three autographs from Ruby Bentall, who plays the sweet Verity Poldark, one of my three favourite characters in the new BBC show Poldark (alongside Ross Poldark, Aidan Turner, and Demelza, Eleanor Tomlinson, whose autograph I got in August. I don’t know the books, so I have no idea what will happen next, I just hope Verity finally finds some happiness after constantly being oppressed by her brother and her father.
I’m very happy to add her autograph to my collection.
The full scans can be found on the page “Other TV shows”. Please contact me or comment here if you want the password.
I got two more autographs today, one from the fabulous George Blagden, who plays Graintaire in the Les Miserables movie – and Athelstan in Vikings (which I just started watching, so I’ll have to write him again eventually). And the other one from Scott Bakula, Dwayne Pride in NCIS: NOLA, and of course Jonathan Archer in Star Trek: Enterprise – which I haven’t started watching yet but certainly will and I’ll probably want his autograph on a photo from ST too, so I sent two from NCIS and one from ST, and he kindly signed all of them
I’m newly addicted to Game of Thrones. I knew it would absolutely be to my liking, but I also knew I would hate to wait for new seasons, so I decided not to watch it until the series ended. Well, I managed to steer clear of it for 5 years, but a few weeks ago I gave in (and watched the first four seasons within 1 1/2 weeks :D). Now I’m waiting for the fifth season to be released on Blu Ray and in the meantime I started collecting autographs of the GoT cast.
Since I knew that I’d like the show, I had the foresight to let two cast members also sign GoT photos, when I sent them photos for other roles: Harry Lloyd, to whom I wrote because of his role in Robin Hood, and Peter Dinklage. The latter is an especially curious case, because I sent him three photos, one for Narnia, one for X-Men where I love his performance, and one for GoT which I hadn’t watched at that point. I was a bit disappointed for obvious reasons when he only signed one – the GoT photo. Now, however, I’m pretty happy about this autograph, especially since Tyrion happens to be one of my four favourite characters.
And yesterday and today I got my first “official” GoT autographs (since the first two I got while I wasn’t even watching the show ;)) – Sophie Turner, who plays Sansa Stark, and Iain Glen, Jorah Mormont. I do hope that they’ll still be around after season 5. No spoilers please😉
Both signed the 3 photos I sent them, and very quickly too, it took only 20 and 21 days respectively.
I added the full scans (and the ones from Harry Lloyd and Peter Dinklage) to the newly created Game of Thrones page (Other TV shows –> GoT). The password is the same as for the other pages, if you want to get access, please comment on this post of send me an e-mail
Since my last post I got two terrific autograph successes.
Dan Hennah‘s was one of my most wanted autographs. He is, of course, the production designer and art director for the LotR and Hobbit trilogies, was nominated for 5 Oscars (for LotR, LotR, LotR, King Kong and Hobbit: AUJ) and won the Oscar for RotK. He kindly signed the photo I sent him (though his signature is a bit smudged), and answered my question about his favourite set – it’s Edoras – on the back of the Hobbit hole WETA postcard I sent him (and signed there again). I’m absolutely over the moon about this autograph
And today I got an autograph of John Williams, composer of the Star Wars and HP soundtracks (among many many others). An amazing success, since he is a real legend! I knew he didn’t sign photos anymore and sends out index cards, so I just sent a letter, no photo. He signed an index card and wrote a few notes on it So cool!
Since my last post I got two replies on the same day:
I just had to send to him again, since I had only sent photos from Les Mis the last time – while he was filming Jupiter Ascending – but I found the movie Jupiter Ascending and the Abrasax characters very interesting, so I wanted his autograph on photos from that movie, too. He replied very quickly, within 3 weeks.
He plays Bill Ferny Sr. in Hobbit: DoS, so a great addition to my LotR/Hobbit collection, especially since he added a cool inscription, and kindly answered the questionnaire I sent him. Btw.: he’ll be at HobbitCon 2016, and challenged Mark Atkin to a gummy bear eating contest. Seems like a fun guy!
added the full scans to the pages Hobbit and Other movies.
I got a few autographs via mail since May, also I bought a few, and then there was a bunch of LotR autographs I purchased in December/January, which I never posted. So I’m just gonna post the signatures now. I uploaded everything on the respective pages.
First the autographs I got via mail, in alphabetical order:
Alexander Ludwig (Cato / Hunger Games)
Eddie Redmayne (Marius / Les Míserables –> see “Musicals”)
Eleanor Tomlinson (Demelza / Poldark –> see “Other TV shows”)
Howard Shore [composer / LotR & Hobbit]
Lara Pulver (Isabella / Robin Hood –> see “Other TV shows” & Irene Adler / Sherlock)
Louise Brealey (Molly Hooper / Sherlock)
Then the ones I bought recently:
Ben Mitchell (Narzug / Hobbit)
Brian Yang (Charlie Fong / Hawaii Five-0)
Mary Nesbitt (Tilda / Hobbit)
Peggy Nesbitt (Sigrid / Hobbit)
Pierfrancesco Favino (General Glozelle / Narnia)
Sean Astin (Sam / LotR)
And just a few of the 19 LotR autographs I purchased early this year:
Calum Gittins (Haleth, son of Hama)
Ian Hughes (Irolas)
Sam Comery (Éothain)
I got two autographs (2×2) yesterday, from Ed Asner and Billy Burke.
Ed Asner had two very impressive episodes in Hawaii Five-0, reprising his character from the old H5O-series: August March. It was a brilliant move to bring him back, and that he managed to fool the team in both episodes, almost until the end. And even then, March chose his own way out instead of going to jail. Even though this was a great turn (for the plot and a great end for the character), I would have loved to see him more often!
Billy Burke was one of the best cast choices in the Twilight series, but I really loved him in Revolution. His role Miles Matheson was far from being the typical good lead character; nothing was really black and white in this series, which is why I really enjoyed that show (even though I hated the insane AI part in the 2nd season. His bromance with/bitter hatred towards Monroe (yes, both actually, and at the same time!) was just terrific and their need to work with each other certainly made up for the crappy AI part. It’s a pity that the show got cancelled after the 2nd season.
I got a few autographs since my last autograph related post:
Simon London (Feren / Hobbit)
Third time’s a charm in this case. Simon played the Mirkwood elf with the horn in Hobbit: DoS and who tells Legolas that Tauriel’s been banished and participates in the battle (he’s around when Thranduil decides that enough elven blood has been spilled and calls back his troops).
Jane Abbott (riding double for Liv Tyler)
She and her horse Florian were the ones doing the pre-Bruinen scene, fleeing from the Nazgul. She also played a rider of Rohan.
Stephen Fry (Master of Laketown / Hobbit)
I already got his autograph earlier but back then there were no photos of him as Master of Laketown; so I decided to write him again and also got an autograph for my aunt who’s a big fan of his books.
Wes Studi (Eytukan/Avatar)
I absolutely love the movie Avatar and I’m still trying to get autographs of the main cast, so when I saw that Mr. Studi started signing again, I wrote him and thankfully he signed all three photos
Natalie Dormer (Anne Boleyn/Tudors & Cressida/Hunger Games)
I didn’t like her role Anne in the Tudors because I liked Queen Catherine of Aragon too much, but I loved to hate her and Natalie did a terrific job in that show. I also liked her very much in Mockingjay part I (and her haircut was really cool ;)).
John Cornell (Glenstorm/Narnia)
Another autograph for my Narnia collection. The spanish/latin-american actors who played the Telmarines are all very elusive but at least I got another one of the centaurs now.
I’m afraid this time there won’t be a long report this time. My camera crashed right before the first panel on Sunday morning. Actually I think it crashed during the game show on Saturday evening, because at the end the camera suddenly went black; I switched battery when I got back to the hotel, and I managed to switch it on again. I thought everything was okay, and I made a test photo Sunday morning at the con, and it worked, so, no problem… until I switched it on again at the first panel… and it didn’t work.
I think it’s kind of a mechanical error. So, the camera is broken and it was just Sunday morning. The Con weekend wasn’t entirely ruined though, since one live-saving angel, I meant helper, let me borrow her camera on Monday.
Long story short, On Saturday evening I thought I’d rather do it the next day, then my camera crashed and I was too annoyed and got a cold and the day was ruined anyway, and on Monday I had fever and a hellish headache… and now I’m back to my everyday life, so no long report, I’m sorry.
But I have a few photos to share (The photos within the text are just a little teaser… at the bottom of this post are many more) and of course, all in all it was a terrific convention, the HobbitCon still is the best convention out there! And the best thing: There will be a HobbitCon 4! Hell yeah!!
There were so many hilarious and great moments… just to mention some stuff:
– the Sylvester McCoy’s panels, basically one big hilarious, crazy moment! This guy is just incredible. Where does he get the energy from?😀
- he (still) hates Sebastian who outshone him in that scene where he was “alone with a stuffed animal, thanks to the wizards of WETA”
- hedgehogs may be the only animals, the vegetarian Radagast would roast😉
- answering the question, who his favourite doctor is: “me”
- what would it be like if Radagast and the Doctor met? Scary and weird, meeting himself.
– John Bell
- Cute kid! I think he really enjoyed the attention and was one entertaining guest I’d like to see again next year!
- demonstrating how Richard Armitage “dances like a dad”.
- in general his many funny faces… hence the many pictures of him (also because I took so many photos of the others on the last two cons)
– Jeffrey Thomas
- Very cool. Although I’m afraid I missed the panel with him and John Bell on Sunday because I was frantically trying to fix my camera -.- I’d love to see him again, too.
- answering a question to what music the dwarves would listen: Thror was a massive ABBA-fan from a very young age.
– Mark Ferguson
- with his “moustache of authority”
– the 9/13 dwarves
- I think I can only repeat what I wrote about the first and second HobbitCon. They really are family and that familiarity extends to the fans to some degree. Such a relaxed and fun bunch of people. It’s a pleasure to watch them interact. Plus…
- Adam Brown literally has made the most incredible experiences. His casting story for that commercial had everybody in the main hall laughing till we cried. Almost as good as his “left testicle” story last year. Oh, and the mailbox story from Dean O’Gorman at the first HC. I’m saying almost… not quite. But it was hilarious! Let’s see if I remember all: Before shooting the Hobbit he had never gone to a gymn, but went to a casting for some commercial, that required him to run on a treadmill. So he did, assuring the casting director that he knew how to run on that machine. When the man said “go”, he just started running – and ran against the handle, because obviously he should have switched it on first. Anyway, then he ran and ran as fast as he could, with a riding helmet on his head. Only to get told, “well that wasn’t very fast”. When he left, with the riding helmet still on (which was needed for the casting/commercial), he was so exhausted that he fainted outside, and only woke up two hours later, getting called by the casting guys that they needed the riding helmet.
- Mark Hadlow shaving Mark Ferguson’s “Pornobalken” (the moustache he had due to a promise to his son, to be seen with a moustache in a very public place) on stage during an impromptu scene they played.
- (and Adam Brown googling on his phone what a “Pornobalken” is… or rather its translation by Mark Ferguson, porno bar. You can imagine his face! :D)
- Adam Brown about Jed Brophy: “I sometimes think Jed is actually CGI“
- Graham McTavish in a kilt… wow.😀
- Mark Hadlow singing “Nessun Dorma”!
- Grahaim McTavish about the ending: If Dwalin could have changed it, he would have died instead of Thorin, Kili and Fili. Didn’t surprise me at all.
– Luke Evans
- Wowwowwow! What a revelation. This man is so down-to-earth, funny, kind, and boy this man can sing! I was seriously smitten after the first day, and he just kept singing every request (I think five times?) I mean, I really liked his voice before, but I had no idea whatsoever that he was such a talented singer. I will most definitely watch Beauty and the Beast when it comes out! But he absolutely should record an album. Can somebody please start a petition?😉 (just a little treat: https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=886176424766689… gives me goosebumbs just listening to that again. I think I was done for after he sang “Music of the night” from Phantom of the Opera).
- about meeting Lee Pace in New York by chance: Lee Pace said: “Bard”. Luke said “Thranduil”. And they walked on by.
- about his new fame: One time he stranded in a small Italian village at 3 a.m. in the night, and an Italian boy whispered to his friend: “Bardo!”
- Luke and John acting the bell tower scene with a dragon in the audience (*deep sigh* and I didn’t have a camera…)
– Costume contest
- wowwowwow! There were many many great costumes, but most impressive were, in my opinion, the costumes that won. Thror, Thrain and Thorin as a group, and Hitzi’s Thorin solo. These armors were truly stunning! I’m really sad that I didn’t have a camera on that day!
- Fili -> “I just can’t wait to be king”! That was hilarious!
Maybe I’ll remember more tidbits later. The photos above are just a little teaser… here are many more: